Monday, June 16, 2008

Butterfly Kisses

I remember when I was just a little girl, (I believe I was nine, maybe eight) sitting in my room, doodling in a notebook and listening to music when I heard a knock on my door. I welcomed them in, and it was my mom. She asked me to come to the table as she had something important to tell me. I was never in trouble as a kid so I wasn't worried about that, but anytime your parents want to tell you something "important" it makes you wonder.


I made my way to the table where my mom was sitting with her boyfriend, if you will. (That sounds so incredibly weird for me to say now.) Anyways, I sat down looking at my mom thinking she was the one that was going to do the talking. My dad says, "Karrie, I asked your mom something really important and we wanted to share that with you"...or something of the like. It was then that he continued to tell me that he had asked my mom to marry him and she had said yes.


I remember being so excited, which was a relief to my dad...lol. My biological father left when I was two, completely disappearing from my life, and I hadn't had a real father figure until my dad came along. He's really my step dad but it doesn't feel that way and I don't call him that. It just doesn't feel right to do so. He has been the only father I have ever known. He took my mother and I in and cared for us both, and loved us. For this, I am and will be forever thankful!


Butterfly Kisses is a song by Bob Carlisle and it always affects my dad when he hears it, so I shall dedicate and play this for my dad. Happy Father's Day Dad! Love you!


Butterfly Kisses


No comments: