Wednesday, June 25, 2008

What not to expect

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian. ~~Dennis Wholey

***


A dear friend of mine once said something along the lines of..... "If you are going to ask for something, don't have any expectations. That way if you don't get what you are asking for, you won't be disappointed. However, if you do get what you ask for, you will be pleasantly surprised".


I think about that all the time. One of the best pieces of advise I think I have gotten, yet its the hardest to follow. When you ask for something, its difficult not to have some sort of expectation and possible disappointment to follow. Its like asking your mum for a cookie as a child, right before dinner. You know she is going to say no, but you ask anyway with the slightest hope that just this once, she will say yes. Then she gives you that look and gently says "no" and you feel the disappointment flow through you as the possibility washes away. Then imagine how'd you feel if she said yes. Absolutely delighted!


Granted, asking for a cookie is such a simple thing, but using that as an example and applying it to your everyday life, kind of makes you think. I know its something that I have to work on and its not going to apply to every situation, but I have a feeling that if I could follow those words of advice, I'd live a happier life.


Credits for silly picture


No comments: