Sunday, July 6, 2008

Looking back

As a child I remember a lot of the music my parents listened to. My mom was an avid country listener: Tanya Tucker, Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, Johnny Cash, John Denver, Anne Murray, Reba McIntyre and all the like. Way different than todays country music, I must say. Now my dad was the complete opposite. He listened to REO Speedwagon, Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straights, ELO, Pink Floyd, Kansas, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Styx, Boston, Van Halen and on and on and on.


Looking back, I remember hating most of it. I dreaded long trips and having to listen to any of it, although I remember asking if we could listen to "moms music" because I particularly hated my dads music even more than my moms. Funny thing is, a lot of what I listen to now is what I grew up on, only not my moms music, my dads. That makes me laugh only because I know how much I hated it as a kid. I do listen to country music now too, just not that old stuff like my mom enjoyed. Although I can still sing some of Kenny Rogers songs all the way through...heh.


I recall a few that I liked, such as REO Speedwagon and Kansas. However, there was always two songs that made me laugh and I knew every word because my dad would play them for me all the time. I think he got a kick out of it actually.


The songs were written by Syd Barrett and on his album Piper at the Gates of Dawn. This album is a bit....umm...off the wall, i guess you could say. I'm quite sure he was running on things other than caffeine. Regardless, these songs, to this day, still make me laugh and remember good times. I had actually forgotten about them until I was going through some of the Pink Floyd videos on YouTube. I'm so glad I found them, as the memories make me smile. Oh, please don't ask me what it is, or was, that I found appealing about either of them. They are WEIRD!! Maybe that was why...sheer silliness!

The Gnome

Bike

No comments: