Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Kandahar

About a week or so ago a very special friend of mine asked me if I would mind asking my children to draw pictures for soldiers over in Kandahar. Well of course I said yes as I saw it as a wonderful opportunity to share with my children what soldiers do for us and our country as well as do something really special for those soldiers. I though about it for a few days and in doing so I read a post on her blog that really touched me and made me want to help out in more ways than just sending pictures. So last weekend while we were at the grocery store, we started picking out things that we thought the men of Kandahar would enjoy. Knowing there are 19 men in this troop we wanted to choose things that they could share. My kids picked out the following (with a bit of help):

* notebook paper, pens, and envelopes to write letters home

* kleenex, Q-tips, washcloths, and antibacterial liquid

* crackers, sunflower seeds, pretzels, and raisens

* assorted candy

* two decks of playing cards and Phase 10 card game

All of this is neatly packed up in a box and is ready to ship out this week to Danny's troop. I know that they will enjoy getting the things that we picked out and they would love to hear from any of you that would like to participate. If you do, please contact me and I will guide you to the right person that knows everything about it!!!

This is such a wonderful opportunity to teach our children the greatness of giving!!!

No comments: