Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Why Do I Knit?

This is a question that seems to be asked of me quite often. If you are a fellow knitter, I am sure that you also get asked that same question and if you don't knit, then maybe I can help you to understand why I knit and why others may feel the same way.

First and foremost, I am a crafter at heart and any craft that is thrown my way, I am willing to at least give a go at it and if I don't like it, I move on. If I do like it, watch out, because I will buy stock in materials!

However there are many reasons I love to knit. One being that I can take it anywhere with me. My children are in numerous activities and while watching and/or waiting I can knit my heart out. We often drive to Michigan to visit family and we fly to Arizona and I can take it with me then as well. Knitting is such a portable craft!

Another reason I love to knit is that it is like my yoga. If I have had a bad day, I can pick up my knitting and focus completely on that and only that, and the stress dissapates. Knitting relaxes me and makes me happy. Granted, there are those tricky patterns that can make you want to pull your hair out, but for the most part, it is very relaxing and comforting.

The utmost reason I love to knit is becuause I like to knit for others. Any project that I start for someone else I ALWAYS finish. Making gifts for others is so much more gratifying than anything I could ever make for myself. Knitting blaknets, hats, mittens, and scarves for children who need them, or donating to shelters or just giving something away to a friend because they are special! It is something that really warms my heart and I am happy to do it!

I had started making felted hedgehogs and one friend was very excited about them so I offered to make one for her! I was delighted when she accepted and asked her to choose colors for me and she chose lavendar and sage to go with her daughters bedroom since the hedgie was going to be for her. I have now completed the hedgehog for her and it is all wrapped up and packaged to go out in tomorrows mail. I hope she enjoys it as much as I enjoyed making it!!

Enjoy your hedgie, Gretel!!! {{Hugs}}

Hedgie Too

No comments: