Friday, June 26, 2009

My Sisters Keeper

"There are some things we do because we convince ourselves it would be better for everyone involved. We tell ourselves that it's the right thing to do, the altruistic thing to do. It's far easier than telling ourselves the truth. " -My Sisters Keeper

There are so many things to say about this book I don't even know where to begin. I have never read a book that took me through so many emotions as this one did. I had seen the previews to the movie and knew that it would be a tear jerker, but man, I was not prepared for the roller coaster this novel took me through.

One of the things I tend to do while reading (well with anything, really) is to over analyze what is going on. Bad habit, yes I know. Lately my friend and I have been reading the same books and she yells at me all the time, "Stop trying to figure out what is going to happen before you get there!".. LOL.

Jodi Picoult writes in a way that it is almost impossible to figure out what is going to happen, which was, for me, frustrating and exhilarating at the same time. You would be laughing your ass off in one paragraph, and in the very next line, you're brought to tears. I don't mean those tears that well up and go away quickly, but the kind of tears that you let well up for so long because you can't supress them, and they fall like giant rain drops down your cheeks. The kind where you have no choice but to put the book down because you can't see to read any longer. Many a pages have my tear tracks on them. Next time I read one of her books, I'm carrying a box of Kleenex with me :)

One of the things about her writing in this book was how she wrote her chapters. At first it was annoying and confusing, but after a while, I realized the benefit behind it. She writes each chapter in a different main characters perspective. There are seven. Most books that you read share only one view point and the dynamics are very limiting. Reading a story where you feel what each character is feeling, gives the book so much more depth and fulfillment in the story itself.

I don't want to tell about the story here, because I hate spoilers, but I highly encourage you to read this book. Even though this is not a true story, it very well could be and it stops you in your tracks and makes you think about what you would do if you were faced with such a situation. It's full of bravery, honesty, truth, reality, love, compassion, and so much more. I believe it will be a book that you will not want to put down, even when you've finished the last page. It tugs at your heart strings like no other book I've read. I will openly share that for the last hour of reading this book, I cried.


"One fire burns out another's burning, One pain is lessen'd by another's anguish." - William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

No comments: