Sunday, December 2, 2007

"Uranus"

I'm smiling even thinking about writing this post and even debating on whether or not I should even post this, but it made me laugh like crazy so maybe it will do the same for you. If you have children, you will appreciate this even more...LOL!

So, one night after shopping we were hungry and stopped in a place called Fazoli's. For those of you who are not familiar, its kind of like a fast food Italian place. Good food! Fast service and the best bread sticks EVER! Well, we decided to eat in so the kids got these paper place mats and crayons to keep them busy while waiting for the food and while waiting for the parental units to finish eating as well.

At first glance these place mats were completely harmless and little did I know the humor and questions that would arise from this simple sheet of activities. The theme for these worksheets was the Solar System. Innocent, right? HA!

My daughter started doing a crossword on this sheet and one of the questions (which I cannot remember) had the answer of Uranus. Ok, so being the immature adult that I am, her saying the name of that planet made me laugh, for obvious reasons. Oh, you should know, she is only 10 and my son is 6. My daughter asks me, "Mom, what's so funny about Uranus?". She has a complete straight face and I completely lose it. I started laughing even harder, tears streaming down my face, unable to breathe. Due to me laughing, and the situation, dad begins to laugh as well, then my daughter and son begin to giggle even though they have no idea why.

We all finally settle down from laughing, wiping our eyes, taking deep breaths. Again, my daughter asks me why that was so funny. Now, as a mom, I ponder whether or not I should even go there with her because I know she will understand and most likely tell her friends. She keeps on persisting and I cave, BUT giving her a disclaimer that she is not to utter a word about this to her friends and especially to her teacher. She agrees.

I begin to explain to her that it sounds like a body part. She starts giggling hysterically so I figure she understood. Nope. She thought it was the other end, the other "male" end. I start laughing all over again and she is getting frustrated because she thinks I am laughing at her. I tell her, "No, honey, the other end." She is giggling hysterically again.

In the meantime my 6 year old son is across the table listening intently and absorbing every bit of the conversation. It's quite amazing what a little one can take in and understand. He looks at me, straight faced and said, "Mom? It means 'your butt'?". Then HE starts laughing!!

OMG I am losing it now.

On the way home he starts talking about our trip to Arizona and the bus ride we were taking to get to the Chicago O'Hare Airport. Out of the blue he starts singing, "I'm going to shake my 'Uranus' on the bus to the airport"...over and over and over and over...!

Once I realized what he was singing (because we had the radio on, and turned up a bit) I honestly thought I was going to pee my pants!

The things kids say....gotta love it!

No comments: