Sunday, September 28, 2008

On the bookshelf...

Life gets so unbelievably busy. It's during these times that I just want to get lost in a good book. Forget about the hustle and bustle of life for a short while, and immerse myself in a new world. I'm not looking to escape my own life, necessarily, just take a break.

I haven't been able to do this in quite a while and I thought it about time I stuck my nose back in a few books.


Before going to California, I was introduced to a new author, Piers Anthony. He has written several, and I mean several books. The series suggested to me was the Xanth series so that was where I began. Book One: A Spell for Chameleon. I must admit, when I first saw the cover, I wasn't interested. I know, I know. Don't judge a book by its cover. Right! I'm ever so glad I took a chance on this book.

In short, it's about a young lad who has to be able to demonstrate that he holds magic or he will be banished from the land of Xanth, which has been his home for nearly 25 years. His journey takes him through obstacle after obstacle, overcoming each one. Throughout the fantasy, he learns many things, things that can and should apply to our own lives. Anthony really makes you stop and think at certain points in the book, yet he is so witty at times to draw you away from the seriousness of the situation. I won't give any more of the story away, because it really is a fun read, and if you like fantasy, I highly recommend it. The book takes you through a lot of emotions: Happiness, sadness, sorrow, excitement, anxiousness....on and on. I remember being on the bus heading home from California and I was nearly finished. The woman sitting behind me leaned up and said, "That must be a really good book you have there. You keep turning those pages faster and faster". We both laughed, I agreed and stuck my nose right back in. Give it a go and let me know what you think. =)


The other book that I read was Nights In Rodanthe. A friend at work was talking to me about it and asked if I wanted to read it and that it was a fast paced book. I said sure, why not. I wasn't really excited about it because I had tried to read another Sparks book called The Wedding, and I just couldn't get into it. Well, this one was different. I started reading it on September 22nd and finished it on the 24th! I would have had it completed sooner had it not been for work...lol.

Anyways, it was a sappy love story, well written, and like my friend said, fast paced. It's your typical man and woman meet in an unusual circumstance, fall in love romance. I don't mean for my words to sound trite, as I am all for a good romance, it's just difficult to describe it with out giving away too much.

What I loved most about this book is the way Sparks portrayed how strong of a woman Adrienne is. She experienced a lot of heartache and yet, moved on and lived her life. The past was just that, the past, and she moved forward. She was able to find happiness in the midst of a terrible tragedy, learned from it, and passed it along to her daughter.

This book was not only about a wonderful romance, but truly, about learning lifes hard lessons and the choices we can make to overcome them.


No comments: