Sunday, October 11, 2009

Piece By Piece

"If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again." ~~ Flavia Weedn

Quilting is something I have enjoyed for many years. I remember the first quilt I ever made. I was 10. I asked my grandma to take me to Wal-Mart and I bought a yard of fabric for the top, a yard of fabric for the back, batting, and yarn and thread to match. When I got home, with no direction, I sewed it together by hand, turned it right side out and put yarn ties all over it to keep the layers from separating. When I was done I showed my grandma and said that I wanted to give it to my cousin who was just born. She was so amazed that she took me back to Wal-Mart to buy more fabric so I could make her one too. I remember that she took a nap every day with that quilt I made her for nearly 20 years. I don't know what happened to it after she passed. I wish I knew so I could get it back.

That's how it all began. Actually I think that is what started me with crafts in general. It wasn't long after that my other grandma taught me how to knit and crochet. I've carried that with me as well. Now, if I only had more time in the days to be able to do these things.

I do squeeze in time when I can, especially for quilting, because I really love it. It's relaxing and usually I'm making them as a gift. On July 28th my nephew was born and just like I made one for his sister, I was planning to make one for him. I just had to know he was a "he" first and I didn't know that until he was born. I went shopping for the fabric just as soon as I could and I knew that I wanted something that didn't scream "baby" because I wanted him to be able to grow with it and enjoy it for more than just a year or so.

Here is what I came up with. I hope mum and dad like it, and of course Callaghan, when he gets old enough :)

Photobucket

Here is the quilt I made for his sister, Madison, in November 2007 :)

Photobucket

No comments: