Thursday, October 25, 2007

NaNoWriMo - A.K.A National Novel Writing Month

I am a woman of impulse and I will be the very first to admit that. This can be a great attribute and it can be a terrible one as well. In this case, I am going to classify it as a great one.

I was speaking with a dear friend last night and I was asked if I had ever heard of nanowrimo. I had to laugh at first because I honestly thought it was some sort of food. Partly because we always talk about food and partly because it sounds like a foreign dish. Soft laugh...well I was completely wrong. I questioned what it was and was told "NaNoWriMo". Still having no idea what the heck this was, I Googled it. I Google A LOT in talking with this friend...giggles...but I love that because I learn more that way and retain the information. Anyway, this is what I found when I Googled it ~~~~> National Novel Writing Month. I had to read the 'about' page twice to make sure I was reading correctly. He was actually suggesting that I write a 175-page, 50,000 word novel. Was he off his rocker? No. Not at all actually. I read a bit more on it, bookmarked the home page and basically shrugged it off. Impossible, right?

So I take a day to ponder it. Roll it around in my brain for a bit to see how it sits. I know this would be a HUGE commitment and I go back and forth. "Ok, I'll do it." "No, I don't have time to do it. " "But this would be a great experience and a perfect challenge." "Yeah, but will you really DO it?" "I will make myself do it." "Yeah, you say that now, but you will fall behind, lose interest?" This craziness went on and on all day. You can imagine how much work I got done today.

I came home and worked it out, that in order to do this piece each day, I would have to write approximately 1667 words each day for 30 days straight. That would take me to just over 50,000 words. I took a quick survey on a writing I did last night and the word count was almost 1200. So, I would only need about 400 more and I would have accomplished one day. WOW!! However, looking at it this way, makes it seem a bit more feasible now doesn't it?

I wander back to the home page, click on the words "Sign Up", take a deep breath, fill out all the fields, take another deep breath, and clicked on "submit". YIPES!! I did it. I took the first step.

Am I absolutely crazy? Yup, probably, but you know what? I am going to embrace this challenge and I will complete it. I can't promise that it will be anything worth reading, but it will be my words, my writings, my escape. For now, that is all I can ask of myself.

Now to think of a theme, a topic, an outline. I have a few days to ponder this as I cannot start writing until November 1st. So until then I will be racking my brain.....when I start to write, I may post some excerpts here to see what you think and to keep you posted on my word count. I would also hope to draw some support and enthusiasm from my readers to keep me going!!

Word count for this post = 572 (Oh, I can see how this can become a dorky habit) LOL!!

No comments: