Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Where? Neverwhere!

"This aye night, this aye night. Every night and all. Fire and fleet and candlelight...."

I just finished reading a reaaaallyyy good book by Neil Gaiman called Neverwhere. I've had the book since before going to California in September '08 but never got around to reading it. I actually forgot I had it until I started rummaging through a bag I had taken with me on the trip and found it in a side pocket. I had just finished the Twilight series and so I thought a good time to read it.

I knew that there was a television series done on it back in 96 but hadn't watched it because I wanted to read the book first. I didn't want any spoilers and I am sooo glad I waited to watch the six episodes. I did find it interesting, though, that the tv series actually turned into the creation of the book. Its usually the book, then the movie.

The book was fantastic! Gaiman captures your attention immediately and bounces from one scene to another making you think and move you along in the reading so you don't get bored. Soon enough it all pulls together and leads you into the minds of the characters as you start to build the world in your own mind.

The tv series was ok. You can go HERE to watch them, although, the DVD is much better. I knew the story and of course, parts were left out or dialog was changed, but it was pretty close to home. It was interesting to see the characters and how Gaiman saw them opposed to how I saw them in my mind. I was pretty close to all the characters, except for Hunter and marquis de Carabas. I loved seeing Carabas on screen. He was my favorite out of them all. He always had this goofy deceptive smile on his face. I won't say too much in case you've not read the book......

I also have a new appreciation for golfing...with frogs...lol! Sound effects are great! :)

Anyways, if you like a good fantasy, pick up this book. I think you will enjoy Gaiman's imagination and you might even learn a few new words along the way. My favorite was "circumlocution". I think that's because I know someone who is an expert at it....

No comments: