Saturday, November 8, 2008

I'll Keep Your Memory Vague

"No matter how long we exist, we have our memories. Points in time which time itself cannot erase. Suffering may distort my backward glances, but even to suffering, some memories will yield nothing of their beauty or their splendor. Rather they remain as hard as gems."
~~Anne Rice~~

The house was really quiet at one point in the day today. It was actually really nice to be able to sit in silence, or near silence. The house is always so full of hustle and bustle, it's a rare occasion that I can just sit, close my eyes and hear nothing but the wind out doors.

It's times like these that give you the opportunity to think about things present and past. Today I thought about the past, about where I came from, the people I have met along the way to where I am today. I could smile and think about friends I had in school, in the jobs that I have had, in life experiences, and even on-line. Yet at the same time I could frown when I thought about how I don't have contact with most of those people anymore.

I moved so much as a kid, it was hard to establish a steadfast friendship, let alone carry it with you. I didn't really stop moving until I was in the 7th grade, so those friends are the ones that I remember the most. Again, with life changes, even some of those have been lost.

I have wonderful friends now and I can't imagine my life with out them, but the ones that I have lost contact with or the ones that have went in a different direction...I miss them. I miss them a lot.

People will always come into our life. Some will stay forever and some only a short time. No matter how long or short of a journey you have with them, the memories will forever remain, etched on your heart. I'm thankful for that and I'm thankful for a lifetime of memories....and those yet to come.

Even though this video is about a break up, it fits into this post. We've all been through it. We all have memories that we try and tell ourselves to forget, but they stay with us. The only reason we try and convince ourselves to forget is to try and lessen the pain. I don't think it works and I don't want to forget.

No comments: