Monday, November 3, 2008

Simple Man

It's no secret to those that know me how important my music is to me (and my sanity) so I am always listening and searching for new songs and artists that I enjoy. Of course in doing so, you come across music that isn't your cup of tea but when you find something you really like, it's worth it.

A few months ago I came across a group called Shinedown while I was poking around Last.fm. I gave them a listen and I was immediately hooked. Brent Smith has an amazing voice and it is so unique. I suppose that is one of the reasons why I like them so much.

The song that I first heard was called Simple Man, which Shinedown did as a cover to Lynyrd Skynyrd. It's an emotional song about a mother telling her only son about life and growing up. She tells him not to hurry though life, that troubles will be endured and overcome. She tells him he will find love and to love himself, and if he gets lost along the way, to follow his heart. She tells him to be a simple man, and most of all to be satisfied.

The words are simple, yet powerful. They ring true to the heart and everytime I hear it, it brings me back down to reality. Its sort of my "bring me back home" song. We all rush through life like we have to get to the finish line first, when we really just need to stop, or at least slow down, and enjoy the things IN our life. We don't have to make things so complicated for ourselves. We all have to remember that trouble will find us, but those same troubles will be dealt with one step at a time and become a thing of the past. The most important, and most difficult for me of all these things, is to be satisfied. Be satisifed with yourself and what you have become and what you will be in the future. Take pride in who you are and love yourself. Don't dwell on the wrongs you have done, but think about what you can do now to keep things right. Cherish your family and friends because they will be the ones that will always be there for your highest highs and your lowest lows. Just....be....happy........

Shinedown - Simple Man


Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man


No comments: