Thursday, May 28, 2009

Memory Keepers & Smile Makers

"Nature is painting for us, day after day, pictures of infinite beauty." ~ James Russell Lowell

I came to the harsh realization that up until this point in my life, I haven't taken nearly enough pictures of what is truly important to me. While getting back into digital scrapbooking, trying to find that "just right" photo for a lay out, the lack of photos became sadly prominent, especially when it came to my mom. She never was very camera friendly as she almost always turned away or stuck her hand out at the camera, so there just are not very many photos of her. I am grateful for the photos I do have of her, looking back, though, I wish I had taken more. When all that we have left are memories and photos, those photos truly keep those memories alive and strong.

Unfortunately this realization came too late to get more of my mother, but I made a decision to not let that happen again with anything that is important to me. Family. Friends. Silly stuff. Serious stuff. Any and all things. You can regret not taking enough pictures, but not by taking too many.

With this decision, I made another one. I wanted a new camera, a dSLR. I had been using point and shoot cameras for the past 10 years or so and they have been wonderful, but the dSLRs are amazing and the photos come out beautiful! I did my research and ended up going to a local store that specialized in these cameras. The answered ALL of my questions and then some. I think I was there for almost two hours. After all that I said Happy Mother's Day to me and I went with the Nikon D60 and two lenses: 18-55mm VR and the 55-200mm VR (a multi-purpose and an action lens). This isn't the basic dSLR camera but it's not the top of the line either. I wanted something that wasn't going to overwhelm me, but also something that I wouldn't want to replace after a year of using it. I think I made a good choice and I love love LOVE it!! I think I've taken more pictures in the last three weeks than I have over the last year!! I can't seem to put him down...lol!

I took a few shots today so I thought I'd share :)

This is the tulip tree that is in the front yard and I was looking for blooms and I happened to see this bubbly bit and thought, how odd. I'm not really sure what is going on here but how neat. Just a ton of tiny bubbles. It reminds me of the bubbles in the sink when doing dishes!




This is just a simple shot of what the leaves of the tulip tree looks like. They are so unique and soon will have big yellow blooms on it. Last year there were only a few so I'm hoping this year there will be more. I'll post a picture of the bloom later :)


This is the clematis plant that gets bigger and bigger every year!! The blooms are just starting to pop and I had to grab a picture before they completely unfolded. So pretty!

No comments: